Cranbrook dating sites 100 dating personals
Ironstone was taken from clay beds, then heated with charcoal from the abundant woods in the area.The iron was used to make everything from Roman ships to medieval cannon, and many of the Roman roads in the area were built to transport the iron.In 1903 Gunther and his wife Leonie bought the Tongswood Estate.When he died in 1935, the house, dating from the 1860s, was sold and became St Ronan's School.It was rarely busy except during hop picking time, when up to 26 special trains per day, each carrying up to 350 Cockneys from London, would arrive at Hawkhurst – up to 10,000 people per day.As this declined, the station became uneconomic, and it was closed in 1961.
Help make a difference by donating now or click here to learn more.
An infamous group, the "Holkhourst Genge", terrorised the surrounding area between 17.
They were the most notorious of the Kent gangs, and were feared all along the south coast of England.
In 1254, the name was recorded as Hauekehurst; in 1278, it is often shown as Haukhurst; by 1610, it had changed to Hawkherst, which then evolved into the current spelling.
The Weald produced over a third of all iron in Britain, and over 180 sites have been found across the Weald.